For Teachers - Information on my 8th Annual 2016 Writing Contes! The theme this year is the LIBRARY!
Mrs. P's classic filled library offers classic stories and activities that help students develop reading, listening and speaking abilities. Each year Mrs. P also hosts an annual "Be-a-Famous-Writer" contest, which is a wonderful way to sharpen and encourage writing skills. The contest opens for entries every September and runs to November 15th. We hope you bookmark this information!
Your school could be filled with books from my wonderful sponsors! See my prize page for all of the details.
Here's a quick summary of the Official Rules, but be sure to visit the page for full details on eligibility and how to enter
HOW TO ENTER: Email the story to MrsPstorytime @ gmail.com with the teacher name, grade, school name and address and a contact phone. Please state in the email that you have read the rules. If there is a twitter account for the teacher or school please include that. Please let us know if it is a collaborative class project or a story your class voted on as their favorite done by a student to enter. Remember just one entry per classroom.
- Entrants must be kindergarten, first, second, third or fourth grade teachers on behalf of their classroom
- To be eligible, the school must be in the United States, an entrant (teacher) must be a legal resident of the fifty (50) United States and D.C. (excluding Puerto Rico, USVI and American Samoa). Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries will not be returned.
- Only one entry per classroom will be accepted; all subsequent entries will be disqualified.
- Stories can be fact or fiction and must use the theme “Pets” in the story.
- Any failure to adhere to these Contest Rules may result in disqualification from the contest.
- Children of employees of MrsP.com, or their affiliates, and judges are not eligible.
Mrs. P is proud to have partnered with Symbaloo, so teachers can easily find Mrs. P on their desktops. Click here to launch
Writing Prompts for your classroom
I've created some fun playlists and blogs for your classroom to get their ideas flowing. Please look for my Imagination Launchers and Book Bits at my Teacher Page
What Teachers Say About the Contest
"More important than the mechanics of writing, is its composition and style. Sometimes we forget that. Mrs. P's Annual How to be a Famous Writer contest ignites creativity, style, voice and a connection to many genres of books for my students. All readers can write, but my strongest writers are my strongest readers who use mentor texts to emulate structure of text and ways with words in their own unique pieces. Mrs. P connects reading and writing beautifully through her online storytelling, writing prompts and thrilling contests. My students are mesmerized by her Renaissance nature! Thank you, Mrs. P, for keeping writer's workshop alive and well."
Fourth Grade Teacher
The Collegiate School
Dear Mrs. P.,
Thank you for creating this contest. Writing is my favorite subject to teach, and I set out on this assignment thinking it was going to be a lot of fun as well as educational. However, what I did not realize is how much all of this tied directly into our 2nd grade reading and writing curriculum (all learning points bolded below). You know there is nothing better than practical application of things taught, and I couldn’t have created anything better to model this to my students...